Job DescriptionApply Now
Medicaid ResearcherJob ID 812-5
Mathematica Policy Research is a nationally recognized research and consulting organization dedicated to improving public well-being by bringing the highest standards of quality, objectivity, and excellence to bear on information and analysis for our partners and clients. The company has been at the forefront of design and assessment of public policies and programs since 1968. Our multi-disciplinary team of health professionals, researchers, data analysts, statisticians, and policy practitioners have conducted many of the most important studies of federal, state, and non-governmental interventions to improve health care delivery and health care financing. We also have supported implementation of large-scale payment reforms and efforts to continuously improve the quality of existing programs through technical assistance, monitoring and feedback systems, and advanced data analytics.
Mathematica is searching for professionals with experience conducting research focused on Medicaid policy and programs or using analytic approaches to guide policy development and implementation at either the state or federal level. In particular, we are looking for individuals who can support current and emerging work across any number of areas related to monitoring and improving Medicaid programs such as: evaluating and delivering technical assistance on value-based purchasing, alternative payment and care delivery models, and other program innovations; developing, testing, and supporting the collection of measures of delivery and quality of services for beneficiaries; and data analytics to monitor and evaluate outcomes of innovative programs and policies. Candidates do not need to have experience in all of these areas but should have substantial experience in at least one of them.
The successful candidate will join our group of over 400 health policy professionals, including staff with degrees in data analytics, public health, public policy, economics, behavioral or social sciences, economics, and other relevant disciplines. We offer our employees a stimulating team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of employee ownership.
Duties of the position:
- Participate actively and thoughtfully in multidisciplinary teams, drawing on your past experience with Medicaid programs
- Help conduct research and technical assistance projects on topics related to state and federal Medicaid policy
- Apply rigorous analytic thinking to the collection and interpretation of quantitative and qualitative data, including analysis of Medicaid administrative data and site visits or telephone interviews with state and federal officials
- Bring creative ideas to the development of proposals for new projects
- Author project reports, memos, technical assistance tools, issue briefs, and webinar presentations
- Contribute to the growth, expertise, and institutional knowledge of staff working in the Medicaid area
- 3-8 years of experience working in health research, data analytics, or health policy with a substantial portion of that time related to some aspect of the Medicaid program at the state or federal level
- Bachelors, Masters or doctoral degree or equivalent experience in data analytics, public policy, economics, behavioral or social sciences, public health, or other relevant disciplines
- Strong foundation in and experience with quantitative and/or qualitative methods and a broad understanding of health policy issues
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including an ability to explain observations and findings to diverse stakeholder audiences including program administrators and policymakers
- Demonstrated ability to provide task leadership and coordinate the work of multidisciplinary teams
- Strong organizational skills and high level of attention to detail; flexibility to lead and manage multiple priorities, sometimes simultaneously, under deadlines
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and salary expectations at the time of your application.
Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo a background investigation or security clearance as a condition of working on a project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance.
Available Locations: Princeton, NJ; Washington, DC; Cambridge, MA; Woodlawn, MD; Ann Arbor, MI; Oakland, CA; Chicago, IL
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.