Job DescriptionApply Now
Data ScientistJob ID 872-2
Mathematica is a nationally recognized research organization that conducts social policy research on health care, disability, education, welfare, nutrition, and other topics. Our mission is to improve public well-being by bringing the highest standards of quality, objectivity, and excellence to bear on the work we do for our clients, which include federal, state, and local government agencies, as well as private foundations.
We are looking for a Data Scientist. Data scientists lead data processing and analysis tasks, such as monitoring data quality, developing documentation, applying statistical and data science methods, and creating data visualizations. The contributions of our data scientists underpin our company's core offerings in program evaluation and data analytics, which yield crucial evidence and information for policy and decision makers.
Data scientists contribute throughout the course of a project on tasks such as the following:
- Performing data cleaning and analysis using programming languages such as R or Python
- Conducting exploratory analysis and communicate results, including descriptive statistics, data visualizations, and diagnostics, to project teams
- Creating and maintaining systems to manage and compile datasets
- Developing and maintaining documentation
- Implementing quality assurance practices such as version control and testing
- Demonstrated interest and experience using data science and statistics to contribute to projects with a social impact in academic, extra-curricular, and/or professional settings
- Master's or doctoral degree, or bootcamp, with an excellent academic record, including courses in subjects such as statistics, data science, math, operations research, computer science, and/or social science
- At least three years of experience performing data cleaning and analysis using programming languages such as R or Python in the academic, extra-curricular, or professional environment
- Experience executing data science and statistics techniques including machine learning algorithms, network analysis, or natural language processing
- Ability and desire to work independently as part of remote, interdisciplinary teams
- Experience with reproducible research principles, version control, interactive visualizations, tidyverse, R Shiny, R Markdown, pandas, and/or scikit-learn
- Desired but not required: experience with healthcare datasets (for example, Medicare or Medicaid claims and enrollment data), Bayesian statistics experience (especially with Stan), production-quality machine learning applications, cloud computing environments, algorithmic fairness and ethics
Mathematica offers employees a stimulating, team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package. We provide generous paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and an on-site fitness center at several locations.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, location preference, and salary expectations.
Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo a background investigation or security clearance as a condition of working on the project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance.
Visit our web site at www.mathematica-mpr.com
Available Locations: Washington, DC; Cambridge, MA; Princeton, NJ
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.