Job DescriptionApply Now
Junior Data ScientistJob ID 863
Mathematica is a nationally recognized research organization that conducts social policy research on health care, disability, education, welfare, nutrition, and other topics. Our mission is to improve public well-being by bringing the highest standards of quality, objectivity, and excellence to bear on the work we do for our clients, which include federal, state, and local government agencies, as well as private foundations.
We are looking for an entry-level junior data scientist. Junior data scientists support data processing and analysis tasks, such as monitoring data quality, developing documentation, applying statistical and data science methods, and creating data visualizations. The work of our junior data scientists supports our company's core offerings in program evaluation and data analytics, which yield crucial evidence and information for policy and decision makers.
Junior data scientists contribute throughout the course of a project on tasks such as the following:
- Performing data cleaning and statistical analysis using programming languages such as R or Python
- Conducting exploratory analysis, including descriptive statistics, data visualizations, and diagnostics
- Communicating results to collaborative project teams
- Creating and maintaining systems to manage and compile datasets
- Developing and maintaining documentation
- Implementing quality assurance practices such as version control and testing
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for applying data science and statistics to social impact projects in academic, extra-curricular, and/or professional settings
- Bachelor's degree with an excellent academic record, including courses in subjects such as statistics, data science, math, computer science, and/or social science
- 0-2 years of experience performing data cleaning and analysis using programming languages such as R or Python in the academic, extra-curricular, or professional environment
- Ability and desire to work independently as part of remote, interdisciplinary teams
- Desired but not required: experience with reproducible research principles, version control, interactive visualizations, tidyverse, R Shiny, R Markdown, pandas, and/or scikit-learn
Please submit a cover letter and resume. You will be asked to attach these materials during the online application process. Please click the "Apply Now" icon after the Position Description to attach your documents. Letters of recommendation are not expected or required. Please also submit a short programming code sample (R or Python).
Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo a background investigation or security clearance as a condition of working on the project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.