Job DescriptionApply Now
Research AssistantJob ID 800-2
Mathematica Policy Research is a nationally recognized, nonpartisan organization that conducts social policy research on health, education, family support, employment, disability, and international development. Our mission is to improve public well-being by bringing the highest standards of quality, objectivity, and excellence for our federal, state, and local government and private foundation clients.
We are seeking intellectually curious individuals to contribute to a variety of research, analytic, survey, and operational activities that support evidence-based decision making in U.S. health care policy and program operations. Our current work includes a wide range of policy topics in health care service delivery and financing, quality measures, and health systems change.
We encourage candidates with an interest in health policy and who enjoy working in a collaborative environment that emphasizes quality, rigor, and critical thinking to apply.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Perform literature searches and reviews
- Abstract and synthesize information from program or regulatory documents, reports, and articles
- Assist with interview scheduling, note-taking, and other qualitative data collection, such as cognitive interviews, site visits, and focus groups
- Compile and track information in spreadsheets and databases
- Summarize information using descriptive statistics, tables, and figures
- Support quantitative and/or qualitative analyses, including cleaning, organizing, and analyzing data
- Support administration and oversight of survey tasks, such as preparing training materials, delivering training, and performing quality control activities
- Assist designing and testing data collection instruments and protocols
- Contribute to reports, briefs, memos, and technical assistance documents
- Bachelor’s degree in the social sciences, public policy, or health-related field with an excellent academic record
- Knowledge of and hands-on experience with qualitative and/or quantitative research methods
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Highly motivated, detail-oriented, and self-directed, with strong interpersonal skills
- Strong management and organizational skills, especially an ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint (experience with other software, such as SAS, Microsoft Access, NVivo, or Atlas.ti is desirable)
Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and transcript (unofficial is okay). You will be asked to attach these materials during the online application process.
We offer our employees a stimulating, team-oriented work environment and competitive salaries. We provide a comprehensive benefits package, including generous paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and employee ownership.
Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo a background investigation or security clearance before working on certain projects. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance.Available locations: Washington, DC; Cambridge, MA; Princeton, NJ; Oakland, CA
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.