Job DescriptionApply Now
Junior IT Project ManagerJob ID 860-1
Mathematica is a nationally recognized research organization that conducts social policy studies on health care, disability, education, welfare, nutrition, and related topics. Our mission is to improve public well-being by bringing the highest standards of quality, objectivity, and excellence to bear on the work we do for our clients, which include federal, state, and local government agencies, as well as private foundations.
We are seeking a highly motivated Junior IT Project Manager to work within the Technology Solutions Group in either our Princeton, NJ or Chicago, IL office. Our Technology Solutions Group develops systems and solutions that support public policy research clients, and this role focuses on leading these efforts.
In this role, the Junior IT Project Manager will manage the day-to-day operations of software development projects. Project teams are generally small, and this is a tactical role that works closely with programming staff and project teams to manage development efforts.
General responsibilities include leading programming teams, assessing project risks and priorities, developing and executing project plans, and managing change throughout development. In addition, the role includes elements of high level business analysis to understand project goals and direct team members appropriately.
Our ideal candidate thrives in collaborative team environments, has strong leadership skills, is comfortable interacting with staff who have varying degrees of technical knowledge, has strong problem-solving skills with a drive to understand how things work, and isn’t afraid to ask questions.
In addition, experience with data collection, survey research, or market research technologies is a strong plus.
- Manages medium-complexity IT/software development projects
- Ensures that all projects are delivered on-time, within scope and within budget
- Plans and executes projects based on project scope and objectives
- Ensures resource availability and allocation
- Works with project teams to gather and analyze high level requirements
- Develops a detailed project plan to track progress
- Follows development lifecycle best practices
- Measures project performance using appropriate systems, tools and techniques
- Reports and escalates to management as needed
- Manages the relationship with the project team and all stakeholders
- Performs risk management to minimize project risks
- Establishes and maintains relationships with third parties/vendors
- Creates and maintains project documentation
- BA or BS degree
- 5 years of relevant IT experience overall, with 3 of these years featuring management of IT-related projects
- Data collection, survey research, market research, or operations management experience a plus
- Solid technical background with understanding or hands-on experience in software development and other technologies
- Experience eliciting and understanding business requirements
- Working knowledge of the project management lifecycle/PMBOK
- Working knowledge of agile project management
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, or Project Online
- Accuracy with work, strong organizational skill, and attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to deal tactfully and diplomatically with others
- Flexibility to handle multiple priorities, sometimes simultaneously, under deadline pressure
- Ability to work independently for long periods of time
- Willingness to travel to other locations as necessary
- PMP certification is a plus
We offer our employees a stimulating, team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of employee ownership. We provide generous paid time off (and an on-site fitness center). Visit our web site at www.mathematica-mpr.com.
Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo a background investigation or security clearance as a condition of working on the project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance.
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, location preferences, and salary requirements at time of application.
Available Locations: Chicago, IL; Princeton, NJ
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.