Job DescriptionApply Now
Data Analytics DeveloperJob ID 935-2
Mathematica Policy Research is dedicated to improving public well-being by bringing the highest standards of quality, objectivity, and excellence to bear on information and analysis for our partners and clients. The company has been at the forefront of design and assessment of public policies and programs since 1968. Our data analytics have yielded actionable information to guide decisions in wide-ranging policy areas, from health, education, early childhood, and family support to nutrition, employment, disability, and international development. Join our team to make important contributions to improving the design and operations of key public programs.
Mathematica is looking for a Data Analytics Developer with experience in the development and implementation of applied data science for data analytic and statistical programming projects within the human services business unit. This person will contribute to the creation and deployment of data-driven approaches to solve problems and answer important policy questions for clients using technologies in data mining, machine learning, predictive analytics, statistical modeling, analytics platforms, and business intelligence.
- Provide programming support to data science projects and tasks that may include data visualization, predictive analytics, machine learning, natural language processing, or GIS analysis
- Apply a wide array of advanced data mining techniques (including supervised and unsupervised methods, dimension reduction methods, and social network analysis methods) in support of research and operational analytic projects
- Write programs in R, Stata, Python, or SAS to extract, clean, and format data and to create variables for use in analysis
- Construct datasets and prepare data files from various sources including surveys and administrative data
- Produce descriptive statistics and perform statistical analyses of data
- Prepare tables, graphs, and visualizations based on data analyses
- Interpret data outputs and articulate findings to researchers
- Use SQL and NoSQL to manage large structured and unstructured data sources
- Provide technical assistance to federal and state agencies on performance measurement, performance analysis, data quality, and reporting and validation software.
- Assist in the development of reporting specifications and user manuals.
- Assist in the definition, specification, and documentation of data and security requirements.
- A Bachelor’s or Master's degree in economics, data science, data analytics, computer science, statistics, mathematics, natural sciences or other relevant field
- Solid foundation in statistics; experience with Bayesian statistics preferred
- 1-5 years of programming experience in a professional or academic environment, including 1-3 years of experience in data analytics, data visualizations, data mining, predictive modeling, machine learning, or other data intensive analytical role
- Experience with business intelligence and data visualization tools such as Tableau or D3
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases to work with large structured and unstructured data sources
- Programming experience with administrative data using Stata, R, Python, or SAS
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, salary expectations, location preference, and code sample. Please send a code sample (or two or three) that best represents your current programming skills, preferably in Stata, R, Python, or SAS. If you do not have code available in these preferred languages, please send a code sample in an alternate language. We offer our employees a stimulating, team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of employee ownership.
Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo a background investigation or security clearance as a condition of working on the project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance.
Available Locations:Princeton, NJ; Washington, DC; Cambridge, MA; Chicago, IL
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.