Job DescriptionApply Now
IT Desktop SupportJob ID 842
Mathematica is a nationally recognized research organization that conducts social policy studies on health care, disability, education, welfare, nutrition, and related topics. Our mission is to improve public well-being by bringing the highest standards of quality, objectivity, and excellence to bear on the work we do for our clients, which include federal, state, and local government agencies, commercial organizations and private foundations.
We are seeking a IT Desktop Support Technician to join our Information Technology Supports (ITS) group in our Washington, DC office. The post holder will be responsible for on-site technical support, remote support via the Mathematica Service Desk, and participating in departmental projects.
Akin to the way Mathematica’s core business recruits uniquely qualified candidates, Mathematica ITS looks to hire people with a broad set of technical skills, have a history of delivering innovative and cost-effective IT solutions, and who at their core are passionate about technology and confident in their ability to tackle any challenge which is presented to them.
The working hours for this position are 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM, 8 hours daily, with a 1 hour lunch break.
Under close supervision, performs installation, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair of hardware and software associated with desktops, laptops, and mobile devices.
Provides technical support, training and guidance to end users.
Participates on a Service Desk -- about 3 hours a day, 15 hours a week -- providing cradle-to-grave technical support on any number of technology issues for 1200+ employees.
Must be able to work every 8th weekend providing on-call weekend support coverage on the Service Desk.
Handles escalation of Service Desk requests for the Washington, DC office.
Assists in the configuration and maintenance of local and regional printers and multi-function devices.
Assists in the setup and operation of audio visual hardware as required by end users.
Facilitates network access for traveling users and on-site clients.
Disconnects, moves and reconnects technology hardware for single user, multi-user and office moves.
Coordinates hardware and software requests, orders items once approved and submits invoices for timely approval.
Maintains software licensing and inventory of local IT assets including: desktops, laptops, peripherals and wireless devices.
Participates in and may lead projects of significant importance to the firm employing as necessary the application of systems analysis techniques, researching technology options, and consulting with users, to determine hardware, software or system functional specifications.
May build, document and develop training materials as needed to fulfill the project requirements.
May assist in the administration of user accounts and Exchange mailbox via Active Directory and/or other tools.
May assist in the allocation of project folder permissions to end users via Active Directory and/or other tools.
May assist in the administration of local and regional servers, switches, and phone systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in IT or a related area preferred
- 2-5 years’ experience in an enterprise computing environment.
- Experience with maintaining a network computing environment, delegating tasks or responsibilities to coworkers and maintaining the timely completion of tasks.
- Strong knowledge of Windows-based networking environment and Microsoft office applications including Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Strong understanding of Active Directory and Microsoft Exchange environments.
- Strong understanding of remote connectivity issues, such as VPN, and wireless networking.
- Experience configuring and supporting Windows based servers along with an understanding of server hardware and enterprise storage solutions.
- Proficient with Android and Apple mobile devices.
Skills and Attributes:
- A self-motivated person.
- Exceptional problem solving skills.
- Be customer service oriented.
- Have excellent English written and verbal communication skills.
- Possess strong interpersonal and organization skills.
- Flexible and accommodating to working overtime or off hours when necessary.
- Provide adequate notice for absence and/or tardiness.
- Ability to lift and move desktop and other related hardware up to 50 pounds.
- Frequent, local travel may be required depending on location.
- Occasional distant travel may be required.
- Occasional evening and weekend work may be required.
- Security clearance may be required.
As a federal government contractor, all staff working in our central ITS group with access to corporate computer systems are required to successfully undergo a background investigation or security clearance as a condition of employment.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.