Job DescriptionApply Now
Project Control SpecialistJob ID 618
Mathematica Policy Research is a nationally recognized, nonpartisan firm that conducts social policy research on health, education, family support, employment, disability, and international development. Mathematica’s mission is to improve public well-being by bringing the highest standards of quality, objectivity, and excellence to bear in our work for our clients, which include federal, state, and local government agencies and private foundations.
We are searching for aProject Control Specialist to plan and prepare project budgets and business proposals for contract modifications, assist in planning and budgeting all phases of projects, manage and monitor day-to-day financial operations of a project, and support other staff responsible for preparing cost proposals and budgets.
- With supervision, plans and prepares project budgets and business proposals for contract modifications
- Participates in the planning of all phases of a project, assists in the development of project baseline budgets, maintaining project schedules, analyzing project risks, and providing analytical support to senior project leadership
- Revises project budgets and schedules for each task of a project, involving extensive use of Excel and/or MS Project
- Monitors project progress by comparing actual versus baseline resource usage, analyzes project variances, and forecasts anticipated expenditures
- Prepares project financial reports for monthly internal project review process, providing an analysis of the project’s financial condition
- Assists project leadership in preparing client progress reports
- Spends and approves expenditures from project funds with limits
- Assists in the development of procedures and automated tools to support budgeting and project management
- Coordinates with personnel outside of MPR, such as suppliers, consultants, prime contractors, subcontractors, and contract officers regarding project related activities
- May train staff on project financial management and budgeting tools, policies, and procedures
- May revise monthly estimates of staffing requirements
- Other duties may be assigned as needed
- An advanced degree in business or related field, or a Bachelor's Degree with equivalent relevant experience
- Three to five years of experience preparing budgets and business proposals, preferably in a federal contracting environment
- Experience working with one or more of the following federal agencies preferred: Department of Health & Human Services (CMS, SAMHSA, AHRQ, ASPE, HRSA, etc.), Department of Education, Department of Labor, Social Security Administration, Department of Agriculture (FNS)
- Experience with MS Office suite, especially Excel and Project
- Familiarity with Deltek CostPoint, Budget & Planning, and COBRA preferred
- Understanding of accounting concepts
- Understanding of project management processes and the PMBOK
- Accuracy with work, strong organizational skills, and attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to deal tactfully and diplomatically with others
- Flexibility to handle multiple priorities, sometimes simultaneously, under deadline pressure
- Ability to work independently for long periods of time
- Willingness to work overtime as needed
- Willingness to travel to other locations as necessary
Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo a background investigation or security clearance before working on certain projects. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.