Job DescriptionApply Now
Healthcare ProgrammerJob ID 831-2
One of the foremost public policy research organizations in the United States, Mathematica Policy Research is leading the way in providing health care analytics and research services to federal agencies, including the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).
We are seeking an intellectually curious SAS programmer who is passionate about using big data to influence decision making in U.S. health care policy. Individuals with an interest in confronting the challenges of working with large, complex data, an interest in data manipulation and analysis, and a desire to become a subject matter expert in health care data are strongly encouraged to apply. You will influence the technical design of Medicaid and Medicare projects and assist in development of analytic data products and processes. This position is open in our Washington, DC and Woodlawn, MD offices.
Work with large data sources such as Medicaid and Medicare administrative claims and enrollment data to:
- Design and build data structures that enable evidence-based decision support
- Create data products for use by the research community
- Provide programming support to respond to ad-hoc data requests
- Support data profiling and data quality analysis
- Support implementation of alternative payment models and other operational objectives
- Participate in development of creative ideas for decision support, service delivery and payment models to improve the health outcomes and well-being of patients, and to reduce spending for Medicare, Medicaid, and other payers.
- Write code to efficiently access big data platforms and optimize computationally intensive processing.
- Grow to become a task lead on projects and play an important role in training the next generation of junior staff at Mathematica.
- Master’s degree, or Bachelor’s degree with 2-3 years of experience
- At least 1 year direct experience working with healthcare data at the commercial, state or federal level – including eligibility and/or claims data
- Experience with SAS programming
- Experience querying relational databases using SQL or PROC SQL
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and especially the ability to communicate data and system related issues clearly to clients
- Accuracy with work, strong organizational skills, attention to detail and the ability to multi-task
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment with minimal supervision
- Strong time management skills and ability to work independently to meet multiple deadlines
- Ability to come up-to-speed quickly, self-motivate, and solve complex problems
- A software engineering mentality is vital to the position. The candidate should possess the ability to systematically and efficiently design and develop complex programming products, modularize programs to ensure the reusability of components, and streamline development processes
- Experience managing tasks within a Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) framework
- Experience writing optimized SQL queries against Amazon’s RedShift database and/or Teradata
- Experience working on CMS’ SAS EBI platform
- Experience with business intelligence reporting in a healthcare setting
- Experience with R, Python, AWS, MicroStrategy, Tableau and/or Talend
- Statistical background, machine learning or other advanced analytics experience
- Experience working within a multi-disciplinary team including researchers, analysts, and programmers
We offer our employees a stimulating, team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of employee ownership. We provide generous paid time off (and an on-site fitness center).
Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo a background investigation or security clearance as a condition of working on the project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance.
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, location preferences, transcripts, writing sample, and salary requirements at time of application.
Available Locations: Washington, DC; Woodlawn, MD
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.